Thursday 19 September 2013

Oh Hello!

Hello hello! My first post as a blogger, how exciting. For those of you finding this blog who have not been following my travel adventures- I'll give you a little update. I recently returned from a three month trip travelling around Asia. On my adventure I visited Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and last but definitely not least, Indonesia. And what an adventure it was! Whilst away, I was emailing folk back home with tales of my travels. I had quite a few emails back from friends saying just how much they enjoyed my muses, and whats more, I really enjoyed writing them. Along with enjoying the writing so much, I was rather inspired by many things on my trip. One person who truly inspired me and kind of changed the way I thought about things was a guy we met and cycled around Angkor with, Phil. Regular readers will remember Phil. He is from a town in Yorkshire close to my hometown, so I immediately felt at home hearing his Yorkshire accent. He was on an even more adventurous trip than us, cycling for 18 weeks around Asia! At first I just thought he was mental / suffering a mid life crisis. But as we were cycling and chatting I asked him why he had decided to do it. Phil said he had wanted to for a while and 'Why not?' This phrase stayed in my mind for the rest of the trip and pushed me to do things I never would have done before. No, I didn't go jumping from any planes or climbing any mountains or anything as dare devil as you may be expecting, but I did try lots of things that I wouldn't have before, because, well, as Phil had said 'Why not?'. And when I asked myself that question I really couldn't come up with a decent enough reason not too. So this, along with other inspirations has led to me starting my own small mini business on returning home. As I love doing crafts and making things I have decided to do this in my spare time and sell them, with a dream of one day owning my own shop possibly. So, if you would like to check it out you can see my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ArtsBintang or follow us on twitter www.twitter.com/bintangarts. Phil's infamous phrase also helped me to decide to continue my writing, or ramblings may be a more suitable term. Because I really did enjoy writing them, and if people enjoyed reading them, then, well, again, why not! I also found writing a great way to reflect on the days events, or events of the week and re-live them in a way I just never really did. I never made time to think about what we had just experienced, with so much going on in the future, organising transport to our next destination etc, the past turned into just that, the past. Which, when in such a beautiful place, such as the world we live in, is a bit sad really. So yes, writing offers an aid for reflection too.
       I will kick the blog off with all of the emails I sent home whilst travelling, so those of you who have just discovered this can catch up. It may also be a nice little reminder for me too, of times in sunnier, brighter climates! After that, well who really knows what will get written about. I can't promise anything but will give it a go- why not!

No comments:

Post a Comment