Thursday 19 September 2013

Hoi An, Vietnam

Helloooo!

Hope everyone at home is doing well and the rain has subsided for a while! We are currently in Hoi An although getting on a night bus in an hour to get to Nha Trang. We had met lots of people so far in the places we've been who asked where we were travelling and told us we would fall in love with Hoi An.. and they were so right! It has been so lovely the three days we have been here. We arrived Wednesday lunch time ( a nice smooth short bus journey of just 5 hours) and went for a little explore. Immediately we felt a completely different atmosphere! They were hardly any scooters or cars and it was peaceful and quiet. It had a real friendly small town feel and being by the coast a sort of beachy feel. Thursday we had planned on the beach but Chrissie wasn't feeling too well so I headed out alone. I decided to walk as it was only 3km. The walk was fine but along an out of town road so lot of last vehicles and a little scary also no shade at all so I got quite hot. I was worried about getting lost as my navigation skills are non existent and the navigation is usually Chrissie's job but I could feel the cool sea breeze so I knew I was headed right. I did pass some ladies selling fish and they had a gigantic squid which was cool although I think they were annoyed that I got so excited yet still didn't buy it. When I finally arrived the beach was so lovely. Very quiet and nice sand and a nice wavey sea. I'm a bit scared of the sea as I'm paranoid about jelly fish but still went it and I'm glad I did as it was so so warm. After a day of sunbathing I didn't fancy a long hot walk back and was gping to get a taxi. There was only one taxi and he said the price and it was loads- I think due to captive audience. A guy on a moto (scooter) was pestering me and as I dared myself to kayak the other day and didn't die I thought why not. (Don't kill me mum I had a helmet on). We had been approached by a guy who did moto tours from hue to hoi an and Chrissie wanted to but I was far too scared as the roads around hue were crazy but here they are so quiet I decided it was a lot safer. I did close my eyes and hold my breath a lot and I'm not in a hurry to do it again but still good to try these new things! And one of he Vietnamese favourite phrases (when trying to flog you something) 'you don't try you don't know'. So I tried! After a day in bed chrissie felt much better so we had pizza for tea as a treat and there was a cool storm. Luckily the rain had stopped by the time we walked home.

Friday we went into the town to explore all the sights. We visited a lot of assembly halls and old houses which were really cool. In the assembly halls they have courtyards which they make pretty gardens in. They seem to love potted trees like bonsais but different. I now love these too as they make them with water underneath so it looks like a mini lake with a tree and banks etc. Like a mini landscape- simple things! Last night was the famous hoi an full moon festival. All over town are silk lanterns hanging in all sorts of colours and at night they light them which makes it look beautiful. But on the full moon festival they also light small candle lanterns and set them on the river. The whole town is lit with a colourful glow and has such a Magical feel. It really was stunning. I've taken some photos but the PCs here are too slow for me to upload them but if you Google image 'hoi an full moon festival' you should see It :) the lanterns are meant to be good luck so were hoping ours was as we have another overnight bus tonight and think we both might get grumpy if this one is as bad as the last! Today we've just chilled at the hotel and chatted as its raining. We thought we had left that behind! Checked the forecast and its only for today so we can forgive the weather I think.

We've both also noticed we care much less about the tidyness of our room and the tidy ness of our hair. Really starting to embrace the traveller life and look! (Don't worry we haven't given up showering just yet). So tonight we head to nha trang for the next leg of the trip. Nha trang is famous for its beach so we will have a few days relaxing before the hustle of Ho CHi MInh city. Please all pray our bus ride goes smoothly!

Hope everyone is well. I've sent some postcards home so look out for those and if you don't get one just yet I haven't forgotten you!! Missing you all lots but having the best time. Lots and lots of love xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment