Friday 27 September 2013

Autumn break in Malta

We got back Wednesday evening from visiting the most wonderful person in the whole world. Mum! And oh gosh, how lovely it was to see her! I always forget just how tiny she is and then when we have a hug she just disappears in my embrace! I know I am rather mini too (1cm taller still ;) ) but Mum is just so tiny and petite. So we got there on Friday afternoon and went to see her at the dive shop. She was rocking her extremely bright yellow buddies work t-shirt and a fabulous tan- she looked very well. It wasn't as hot as I had expected but I think that could be that travelling has made me a little bit of a wimp with temperature! On Saturday, Mum had to work so John and I had a mooch around Buggiba which is where Mum lives. We had an ice cream- an essential to any holiday of course. The Maltese people weren't as interesting as Asians to photograph but we took a few shots all the same. Russell and Elaine (Mums brother and his partner) arrived on Sunday, so we had a good old natter and catch up with them. It is not very often that a few of us are together as we are all so busy and dotted around in our family, so it really was nice to see them both together. We sat at dinner for hours, them telling us youngsters stories of the miners strikes back in the day. Turns out that a guy Mum dated at the time was a photographer and got tons of front page photos around that time. She had many stories of driving his car whilst he tried to steal shots of angry miners. Who'd have thought!
Monday was Mums birthday- she had to work but she was teaching John! He had decided to have a go at diving and who could be a better instructor :) He loved it and Mum said he was a natural. In the evening we went to the usual pub, where people proceeded to buy Mum brandies, gins, cocktails and finally tequila. Oh dear! I was utterly impressed at how much she drank as I would have collapsed way before she did. We got her home about 10pm for a well needed sleep I think! Surprisingly she felt quite fresh on Tuesday and we enjoyed a day out in Valletta- some fantastic subjects for taking snaps. By the time Wednesday came around and we had to leave I had quite gotten used to being around Mum again. We had a rather teary goodbye- I don't know what it is but I am absolutely horrendous at goodbyes. Especially with Mum. I always leak. A lot. My eyes that is!! I leaked most of the way to the airport before getting on the plane. Had to just tell myself it wont be too long til I see her again- November 4th she will fly in for graduation. So yes, a quick stop in Malta to see the mother for her birthday and also top up vitamin D levels. Lovely trip really and the perfect preparation for starting the job on Monday. Eeeeeeek!                            

No comments:

Post a Comment