Wednesday 8 January 2014

Friends in Expert Places

I spoke to a very lovely lady I know the other day. I dropped her an email asking for advice as her husband is a rather talented artist and together they have created their own fashion label- how fantastic! I wanted to know if either of them had any tips for someone getting interested in art, as just recently I have been considering many things around motivations, style, creations etc etc. She gave me some grounded advice : everything you do, do it from the heart not with selling in mind; when people don't like/buy your work it isn't a reflection of your work just a reflection of where they are at; PERSEVERE. Her email resonated strongly and re-affirmed thoughts and feelings I already had about the direction of my little arts venture. I have decided for the future that I will no longer create items for sale- but purely for my own enjoyment and work on developing my skills. I found selling things took away my creativity and added way too much pressure, thus removing all enjoyment- which is why I am doing it surely?! If anyone does ask to buy an item I would be more than happy to sell it - however, only at cost price which is usually between £1-£2 - I have decided to suggest to purchasers when they buy something that they also make a small donation to their favourite charity, but ultimately this is up to them. I would absolutely love for this little venture to one day turn into a social enterprise, spreading the joy and colour of arts and crafts whilst also adding value in other places too. But for now I can just enjoy the journey, and as dear Kate advises- do everything from the HEART <3

No comments:

Post a Comment