Sunday 27 April 2014

Cravings for Tempeh

Ah Tempeh! I would love some right now. Tempeh is a delicious food found only in Indonesia, it is made from soya beans and then fried. Last year when I was there on my travels I ate it every day for lunch. I actually found a place online here in the UK that sold it, I ordered some but it just wasn't the same- maybe as I was eating it in dreary Crawley and not on a tropical Indonesian beach with the waves lapping at my toes! Yes, that could be it! I was driving home earlier and started to think about my travels last year. I was wondering what Rony the surf instructor we met is up to, and Felice who ran one of our favourite restaurants along with an orphanage. I so want to go back. Get me back to Indonesia! It is such a beautiful place, with such happy people. People who have very little but are still honest, kind, and most of all, happy with what they have. I want to see the black sand again, the rice paddies, the bright colours of the offerings to gods. I want to eat tempeh and square rice again, and taste the delicious pineapples. I want to feel the warmth of the Indonesian waters while I'm swimming with their beautiful fish. I want to talk to the locals about their lives and how things are for them. I want to see the kites again. I want to feel the homely feel there, and just walk for miles along the shore watching the world go by. I want to smell the eclectic fragrances at the market and buy batik sarongs. I want to sit on the deserted parts of Kuta beach and watch the locals fish when the tide is out. I want to see the banyan trees and their crazy roots. I would even stretch to getting chased by monkeys if it meant I could go back. One day, one day soon, I will be back in the beautiful Indonesia ....

No comments:

Post a Comment