Tuesday 3 December 2013

But it isn't even New Year yet...

I know it isn’t the New Year yet, but alas, I have made a resolution. I never usually bother, well, I do, but they often get broken in the first week or so as they are usually a bit pointless which leads to me not bothering to keep them. However- this one is a little different. Just recently I have been feeling like there is a whirlwind in my brain and I just can’t seem to concentrate on anything. I will be at work and can’t think about work, or be cooking dinner and be so distracted I have cooked it, eaten it and washed up without even realising I started. Not good. So- here it is- the big resolution. To pay attention.  It seems so simple doesn’t it. I know you are probably thinking, ‘Well I pay attention’ - but do you? Because I know recently I haven’t been, not at all. The effects of not paying attention I have found to be quite dramatic. I have stopped enjoying things that I love- simply because when I am doing those things I’m not actually ‘doing’ them . Like writing for example, or sewing, or painting, or cooking, or walking. Instead of paying attention to the beauty of the colours, or the feelings of passion I have about the subject of which I am writing, or the textures and tastes of a meal, my mind has been whizzing around on ‘stuff’. Well, mind- here’s news for you – no more whizzing! Now we will pay attention to what is happening and enjoy it. So- with my new resolution, this morning I thoroughly enjoyed a walk to work- no mind whizzing but in fact absorbing the stunning autumnal colours which are soon to be gone. I wonder how I came about this resolution? Well, as a result of my mind feeling a little ‘whizzy’ recently as I wasn’t quite my pecker old self, just a bit fed up and my creativity  had taken a knock too. Normally I would do something I love and enjoy in these circumstances, but even that wasn’t working- and then I sort of just realised my world and experiences were passing me by whilst I was obliviously whizzing. Whiz whiz whiz! I also thought about recent times when I really enjoyed those things, eating, writing, creating. And one of those times was when I was travelling – which is all about enjoying the moment you are in, and absorbing it, and well, just living it.  So I thought I owe it to myself to take these everyday opportunities and just enjoy them again. The colours, the faces, the nature, the designs, the smiles, the smells, the patterns, the emotions, the tastes, the textures – absorb all of them. Just take ten minutes today to try my resolution, and pay attention to what is around you. It might even spur you to think of one of your own ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment